« Home | Change » | From A Distance » | Witnesses » | Is Marriage A Relic Of A Bygone Era? » | Bears » | Bears And Fools » | Avraham And Tzitzis » | Love And Kisses » | Clinging To The Right Person » | Purpose »

The World Of Falsehood

How does a true student of mussar think?

Rav Eliyahu Lapian was a tzaddik/angel who died in Eretz Yisrael 40 years ago and taught countless students. [His "Lev Eliyahu" is HIGH on the Alleyways reading list. If you learn it because of this "shout-out" please tell me.] One friday night he was singing Aishes Chayil and when he said the pasuk "noda bashearim baala bishivto im ziknei aretz" he suddenly became silent and pensive. Afterwards his wife asked him to relate what was going through his head.

He explained: "When I come to Yeshiva everybody stands up for me. I ask myself "Who ARE you Eliyahu Lapian that you deserve such honor?!". Then somebody places a siddur on my shtender so I will have one prepared when I get there. When the Chazzan finishes Shema he waits for me finish before continuing. I ask myself "Who ARE you Eliyahu Lapian that you deserve such honor?!". The the Chazzan waits for me to finsh Shmoneh Esrei before he begins his repetition. I ask myself "Who ARE you Eliyahu Lapian that you deserve such honor?!" Tonight, when I got to the pasuk in Aishes Chayil "noda bashearim baala [her husband will be known in the gates] etc." I thought to myself that this is a world of falsehood but in the next world the truth will be revealed. So I started to cry.

Sweetest friends, one thing is for sure. When Reb Elya arrived in the world of truth he received MUCH more honor than he ever received in this world. This IS a world of falsehood! But that is the way he viewed himself. "Who ARE you?!"

Ashreinu that we had such tzadikim in our midst!

[The story appears in Birkas Mordechai Parshas Chayei Sara]


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile