« Home | Special Mitzva Opportunity:Exclusive To Alleyways!! » | Neat Gematria » | I Have Been Helped!!! » | Please Help Me:#25 » | Ally'sSimchas.Com2 » | Please Help Me:I Have A Holy Jewish Mother [#24] » | Freedom Of Speech » | Ally'sSimchas.Com » | Please Help Me:Jordan [23] » | Please Help Me:Nagilah V'nismicha "Bach" [Gematria] »

Taxi's And Taxes

Dear Rav Ally

When I get into a cab in Israel the driver will often offer me a flat fee in order to avoid using the meter thereby avoiding the payment of taxes. Sometimes the price offered is lower than it would cost me if I use the meter. Is it permitted for me to accept the flat fee [which would in turn aid the driver in avoiding taxes]?

I love the shiurim and take you with me to and from work. Hope you don't mind the trip.....

Love A.S.

Dearest A.S.

Great Question. In my many forays into Sefarim that deal with contemporary halachic issues I have [surprisingly] not seen this question discussed.

Recently I saw that HaRav Dov Lior Shlita wrote about it in a parsha sheet and he answered as follows: One is certainly obligated to pay taxes because Dina d'Malchusa Dina applies in Eretz Yisrael as well [see Encyclopedia Talmudis on Dina d'Malchusa].

However the law of the land in Israel does not require one to demand that the driver use the meter in order to ensure that the driver will pay his taxes.

Hence, one can accept the flat rate. Howver if one desires to go beyond the letter of the law he should insist on using the meter.

I am glad you bring me to work. But don't forget to call your wife from work to tell her that you are thinking about her!!!!

Love
Your faithful servant


Note: Sweet yidden Talmidei Chachamim - Anything you can add?


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile