« Home | Why I Am Not Charedi: The Continuation » | Black And White - Religious Implications » | When Shofar Blowing Impacts Purim » | Why I Am Not Charedi » | Shvat's Identity Crisis » | The Limits Of Merriment » | Solving The Identity Crisis Of The Last Day Of Shvat » | Besides Everything Else - Haman Was VERY Materiali... » | Oz Vi'Chedva Bimikomo [Strength and JOY in Hashem'... » | Wear A Smile And Have Friends, Wear A Scowl And Ha... »

Answer: Megilla Reading In Yericho

Megilla reading in Yericho: In L'horos Nossan [vol. 2/55] there is a fascinating responsa on the topic. [The question is also discussed by Rav Yoseph Lieberman in the first volume of Mishnas Yoseph simman 53. I am so impressed that Senator Lieberman took time out from his busy schedule to write such a learned halachic work...] He rules that the reading should take place on the 14th.

1. The Ran says that in order to be considered a walled city it must first have a wall and then be inhabited by Jews [with a wall]. By the time the Jews settled in Yericho it no longer had a wall.

2. We are not sure that the place we call Yericho today is the Biblical Yericho.

No connection but I can't resist. A quote I saw in a friends email: "If at first you don't succeed - then don't try skydiving".

A freilichin Adar tyere yidden!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile