« Home | The Holy Land » | The End Is Close » | Greater Than An Angel » | Get To Know Him » | There Is Hope » | Davening Should Be Smoking » | Special Visitor » | Elyon Al Kol Ha'aretz - Dying With Dveykus » | The Power Of Kindness » | Paradise On Earth »

A New [Yet Ancient] Perspective

Hi there! My name is Richard but my friends call me Rich. Well, they used to. Anyway, I am "MAD". Let me explain.

I worked hard for many years and made for myself quite a large amount of money. I don't want to divulge exact figures but suffice it to say that we are talking about millions. Well, I wanted to protect my money. I earned it and I wanted to keep it for a long time. The ideal situation was for my money to fulfill the very first commandment in the Torah "Be fruitful and multiply".

Then I heard about a nice Jewish man who guaranteed a ten percent return on your investment. THE MESSIAH HAS COME!! This is what I was looking for. "Now I am set FOR LIFE", I told myself. As Bar Kochva told G-d before he went to war [according to the Talmud Yerushalmi] "Don't help me and don't hurt me. I'll do just fine on my own." Now, I knew that this investor was trustworthy because soooooo many people entrusted him with their money. Could he fool so many sharp businessmen and millionaires? No way!

Well, last week I found out that about the only thing that still belongs to me is my toothbrush and pajamas. Great if I want to prepare for bed but not so great given the fact that I have a family and many expenses.

Then I opened my Tanach for some inspiration in my time of distress and my eyes alighted upon the following pasuk "Thus said Hashem, Cursed is the man who trusts in mortals and makes flesh and blood his strength, and turns his heart away from Hashem." [Yirmiyahu 17/5] Then as I was saying Hallel this Chanukah I noticed the pasuk "It is better to take refuge in G-d [even if He hasn't promised anything] than to trust man who has promised." [Tov lachsos bashem mivtoach biodom - according to the Vilna Gaon.]

And then one more pasuk hit me like a ton of bricks "Lee hakesef vilee hazahav nioom Hashem." [To Me is the gold and silver said Hashem.] The true owner of my money was Hashem. I wish I would have realized that when I still had some.

On a brighter note it helps soothe some of the pain when I realize that I didn't lose "MY" money after all.

May Hashem restore me and all of the countless others who lost so much money to our former positions of wealth together with the blessing of knowing where it comes from and the wisdom to use it only for the right purposes.


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile