« Home | If The Succah Needs A Mezuza, It Isn't A Succah?! ... » | Just When You Thought That Eating Cheese Cake Was... » | If The Succah Needs A Mezuza, It Isn't A Succah?! » | Pro-Choice [The Right Choice] » | Idolatry » | Jewish Geography » | True Kindness » | Implied Or Explicit » | Walking The Walk After Talking The Talk » | Heart And Mind »

Yom Yerushalayim

Today is Yom Yerushalayim. I get excited on this day because for the last 16 years I have been living in the Old City of Jerusalem and I LOVE it. I do my best never to leave, even overnight. The Midrash compares Jerusalem to our mother. I feel eternally connected to Jerusalem as to a mother. I would not have had this merit if not for the great miracles of 1967.

"Yerushalayim is surrounded by hills and Hashem surrounds His people forever" [Tehillim 125/2]. Rav Yechezkel Abramsky ztz"l [he was a Rav in Russia, then served as a Rabbinic Judge in London and at the end of his life moved to Israel and lived in the Bayit Vegan neighborhood of Jerusalem] explained that just as it is completely obvious that Jerusalem is surrounded by hills, so too it is equally clear and obvious that Hashem surrounds and protects Jerusalem.

We feel it daily. Hundreds of millions of hostile Arabs against us, a corrupt and often inept government on our side - and yet we remain strong and safe in Jerusalem.

May we see the complete rebuilding faster than you can say "Hey, wasn't that plowshare a sword just a second ago?!"

What are the hilchot for yom yerushalayim? should anything be added to maariv or shacharit? should hallel be said with or without a bracha? what about saying tachanun?

Dear Chai18!!

Some say a festive maariv, some don't. Some say Hallel with a bracha, some without, some don't say hallel at all. Some say Tachnun, some don't. Do whatever you are comfortable with. [I personally would recommend that if you really want to say a bracha on Hallel that you have someone who is already saying it, say it for you, like kiddush. The rest of Hallel you can say on your own.]

Post a Comment


Powered by WebAds
Segula - 40 days at the Kotel

About me

  • I'm Rabbi Ally Ehrman
  • From Old City Jerusalem, Israel
  • I am a Rebbe in Yeshivat Netiv Aryeh.
My profile